Thursday, April 12, 2012

Mini Genome Quilt, part 1

When I decided to start this business I didn't plan on actually making entire quilts for other people.  I think it's kind of funny that I'm starting out this way.  This quilt is based on Beverly St. Clair's Genome Quilts.  The whole idea is that half square triangles, depending on how they are arranged, represent the different markers in DNA: A, C, G, and T.  The quilt then puts the HST's in the order of the human genome.

My neighbor is planning a photo shoot symbolizing being comfortable (or not) in your own particular genome, and designed this quilt to be used in the photo shoot.  It will have the first 96 markers, rather than an entire person's genetic code.  Apparently the first 96 are the same for everyone anyway.  He brought over these fabrics for me today.

 I have worked very little with solids in the past, so this is going to be fun.  I used to think that a quilt made with solid fabrics was boring, and that you should at least use tone-on-tone fabrics rather than solids.  I've seen many examples online lately of stunning quilts made entirely with solids, so my mind is changing about that.

Because this whole thing it made of HST's, I wanted to think of a quicker way to do them.  I knew I would trim them down to square them up anyway (does anyone else have problems with the edges going wonky when you press these?) so I did mine bigger than needed. 
Rather than cutting squares, marking the diagonal, and sewing 1/4" on both sides, I cut strips (mine were 4 3/4") and marked a 45 degree line, then continued making 90 degree lines from that line all the way across my strip.  A few pins to keep it all together, times seven strips in varying colors, and I was ready to sew.
It was really easy to sew on each side of the diagonal lines all the way down the strip and back.  The background is all Kona Khaki, so I used a khaki thread for all of these.
I cut them all into squares, then into triangles.  Now they are ready to press and square up.  That will be tonight's to-do list when my kiddos are in bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...