Wednesday, August 8, 2012

WiP Wednesday: The Clock Won, but that's okay.

Monday was the deadline to enter the Weber County Fair and I was hoping to get my Dresden Challenge Quilt done in time.  Monday morning I realized that the quilting was just going too slow, and it just wasn't going to happen.

Instead of continuing to work on it, I pulled out a really old UFO (unfinished object) and finished it!  When I made my son's baby quilt I knew I wanted his bed quilt to match it.  I didn't want to risk not being able to find the same fabric, so I went ahead and made a twin size quilt before he was born as well.  I had it completely done... except the binding.  My little guy is almost 15 months old now, so it has been sitting, unfinished, for a looooong time.  I got the binding all done and took it to the fair.

I took a couple of pictures first, but didn't do an official photo shoot.  My little guy approves.  He loves blankies.

Here's a closer shot.  It is quilted with a square loopy meander.  It is 8 x 11 blocks, and I'm pretty sure the blocks are 8 1/2".  It also has a border, about 2 1/2".  It's been so long since I worked on it that I don't remember the details!  I'm pretty sure it measures about 74 x 98.  We are really tall in our family, so we don't bother with regular twin size beds when we know the kids will outgrow them. We just go straight to extra-long twins, so it's bigger than a regular twin.

I also entered my Dresden Wave Mini Quilt, my In the Pines Quilt, and three dresses I've made for my daughter--her Easter Dress, her Princess Halloween Costume, and the Black and Red Paisley dress that I finished about a week ago.  We'll be going to the fair tomorrow to see how I did!

 And here's my Dresden Challenge Quilt, still on the frame.  I'm quilting it with allover leaves, from Angela Walters' new book.

I'm loving this quilt.  I'm so close to getting the quilting done!  I'm disappointed that I didn't get it done in time for the fair, but it will definitely be finished in time to enter in the EZ Dresden Challenge.  

Another shot of the quilting:

I've decided that I want to do a new quilting pattern on each quilt that I do so I get lots of practice doing different designs.  Well, at least on quilts I do for myself, and charity quilts that I have free reign on.  I'm still quilting what clients ask me to, of course.  I'm seeing a lot of improvement in these leaves from when I first started.  It's good to practice.

I'm linking up to Work In Progress Wednesday today.  Go check it out!

3 comments:

  1. My son loves quilts too. He has like three already! Your quilts are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your quilt for your boy, as well as the pine tree quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the fabrics for your sons quilt are so great and the quilt is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...