Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Broken Foot, Legs in Braces

Check out this needle.  This is actually the second time I've seen one this bent, but this time, it didn't break.  It's still threaded.

I've been doing something for a local artist that is very similar to quilting, but very fast and messy looking.  My new Juki foot seemed to be vibrating itself loose fairly often, so I'd check it every so often and tighten the screw as needed.  I had just done that less than five minutes before this happened.  Yep, broke totally in half.    I had already removed it when I took the picture above of the needle.  It's kind of sad.  It was quite frightening when it happened, and I decided to call it a night even though I'd been planning to work for another 45 minutes or so.

I still have my old foot, so I'll put that back on and keep going.  It's still disappointing--I've had this foot less than a month, and I was on vacation for 10 of those days.  It may have just been a bad weld.  I'm going to contact the company I got it from, but I literally just threw away the packaging and shipping information last weekend.  We'll see how it goes.

As we were going to bed last night my husband asked me if he could call his boss and say he wasn't coming in to work because his wife broke her foot.  He didn't do that, but we got a few good laughs out of it at least.

On another note, my husband pointed out that I didn't post any pictures of the wonderful leg extensions he built for my frame.  Here they are!
 The legs on the ends have metal plates on both sides.

The center leg has a cross-brace for added support.
If I have to have any sort of legs in braces in the house, this is the kind I want to have. =)  It is so nice to be able to quilt with better posture!

2 comments:

  1. I'd wear safety glasses while working like that!
    Very glad your foot is replaceable and that your legs are braced! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny! I had this happen to me this winter, while helping a girl in my neighborhood quilt her first quilt. We were just quilting along with the walking foot on my little domestic machine, when suddenly the whole sole plate, with the seam guide, on the walking foot just popped apart--little springs flew everywhere, hooks fell off, etc. I gathered up the pieces, switched to the regular sole plate, and we got some more quilting done. I took it to the Bernina store, and the techinician couldn't even put it back together. He exchanged it for another sole plate...it was less than a year after it was purchased. My walking foot also was bent, which he pretty much fixed right there.
    Crazy times, huh?
    Yay that you got to make your table "your" height!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...