Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Triaxial Weave Purse

It has been WAY TOO LONG since I have blogged. I have a couple of things I need to catch up on, but you can see a somewhat more constant update of what I've been doing on Instagram.

A while ago I discovered @t_jaye on Instagram and her handy little Wefty Needle. I've done a little fabric weaving before (tutorial here!) and knew I had to try this method. I was especially smitten with the triaxial weaves, meaning that rather than just horizontal and vertical axes, there are three. (Sorry for the terrible photo quality, I took the first one at night to post on Facebook. Ha.)



I used part of a Jaybird Quilts palette jelly roll. This was just after I had baby #4 and wanted something that would be quick, so I used the full strips. Next time I will cut them in half lengthwise and do something tinier! I put some fusible interfacing on my board first and fused the fabric to it before taking the pins out. It worked fairly well to stabilize it until quilting, only a few edge pieces fell out and they were easy to put back in.

I cut it into two pieces and added some solid navy strips to the top and bottom. I used a lovely home dec weight solid sateen by Freespirit.

Quilting was an issue. I quilted the borders first, but knew I wouldn't be able to quilt over the weaving without my foot catching and causing all kinds of mayhem. Water soluble stabilizer worked wonders! I laid it over the top, quilted, and carefully rinsed (and rinsed and rinsed) it out. I did some fun graffiti quilting with monofilament thread to add texture without distracting from the 3-D effect of the weaving.

I didn't get any more progress shots, so here's the finished purse! 





I did an open triaxial weave for the flap and topstitched the strips in place.


It's hard to tell, but it has all of my favorite pockets! Cell phone, pens, and two zipper pockets, one waterproof. Because hand sanitizer explodes.


I love how it turned out!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is stunning! I've been doing some weaving too, but I was afraid that quilting over it wouldn't look good. Not so! This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...