Friday, June 5, 2015

Blocks from the Past Quilt Along: Pages 50, 51, and 82

First of all, I'm SO SORRY that this is later than planned. I totally spaced it. So better late than never, right?

Page 50, Robbing Peter to Pay Paul
This is one of my very favorite blocks in the book.
 It's all made of squares, rectangles, half square triangles, and flying geese, so it was very straightforward and easy to assemble. I made mine 12.5", but even at 6.5" it would be very manageable. I had a lot of fun playing with the color placement. I used the no-waste method to make my flying geese and it worked really well.

Page 51, Gentleman's Fancy
I didn't need this block in my quilt so I made this one for Marion. I let her square it up so it would be the same size as her 6.5" blocks, so it's not squared in this photo.
This one was just fine to assemble. I followed the measurements and instructions in the book more closely on this block than I did for any of my other blocks. I made sure to use a SCANT 1/4" seam which I highly recommend. To make my "E" triangles, shown in darker green here, I cut the squares 1/8" larger than recommended so I could square the center portion. The flying geese were made with the stitch and flip method which I really liked for this size. Overall I liked this block.

Page 82, Tulip
I made this block for Marion too. I'm not sure why it's called "Tulip," as it definitely does not look like a tulip. But it is still pretty and I like how it turned out.
Sometimes I really like applique, and sometimes I really don't. The day I made this block was not a day that I liked applique! I opted to fuse it, and then Marion said she would be okay with quilting it down, so I didn't sew around it at the time. Marion finished her quilt recently and the pieces stayed attached just fine until quilting time. The pieces weren't too ridiculously tiny so I think it would have been fine to needle-turn this one, if you like that kind of thing!

I will be quilting my quilt next month and then I'm excited to share it with you! I love how it looks so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...