Tuesday, November 25, 2014

"Woven" quilt by Kati Spencer in Scraps, Inc.

Do you follow Kati at From the Blue Chair? She's one of the first bloggers I started following when I discovered the online quilting community and have since gotten to know her through the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild. She has a great eye for design and is always creating beautiful quilts. A few months ago I had the pleasure of quilting this fantastic scrappy quilt, which she called "Woven," to be included in the new book Scraps, Inc. I didn't have time to get any photos of the full quilt before returning it to Kati but I got some more detailed shots of the quilting. I've been dying to share them for months, and I finally get to!

 The scrappy blocks are all made from strips in different widths and Kati wanted those highlighted with straight lines.


I quilted swirls in the vertical sashing and ribbon candy in the horizontal sashing. 


At the intersections I alternated which design was on "top," creating a woven effect. At the time I didn't know that was the name Kati had chosen, so it ended up perfect!


I divided the border into two sections and repeated the swirls and ribbon candy from the sashing on a slightly larger scale.

Like most of Kati's quilts the back was pieced and added a whole new level of interest. 


I really, really love this quilt. The color scheme and fabrics, the design and layout, and the visual interest from the scrappiness all add up to an amazing quilt. I'm so excited that I got to be part of it. If you would like your own copy of Scraps, Inc. you can get one here. If you use the code SCRAPS30 you can get a discount, at least for the next few days. All of the quilts in the book that I have seen are wonderful. If you love scrappy quilts you will not be disappointed.

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, pretty! I love the quilting in the sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this quilt!! Gorgeous selection of color's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty job you did on the quilting! Your ribbon candy looks so perfect. I have the book--I treated myself to 3 new quilting books on amazon last week. Felt a little guilty at first but they are all such great books it was money well spent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt. Your ribbon candy is nice and even. I love how the swirls and ribbon candy separate from the straight lines quilting. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! Wow! This is so fabulous : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quilt, the colors are really effective> the swirls and ribbon candy very neatly done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...