Wednesday, December 19, 2012

WiP: Long-Term UFO (and a couple of finishes)

A month or so ago I cut into my Maasai Mara fat quarter bundle that I picked up at the Sewing Summit Mixer.  I didn't get to go to SS, but Salt Lake MQG members were invited to the mixer that Friday night.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the fabric at first, but inspiration hit and I had to get started.  Then other deadlines came up and it has been sitting in a box.

I pulled it out tonight for a few minutes to work on it.  I've added a few solids to the mix, including Kona ash, water, and cactus, and a Kaffe Fassett shot cotton in navy that my LQS had.

These are going to be x strings blocks, but strip pieced to they can be more mass-produced.  I've got all of the strip sets laid out, about half of them pinned into pairs, the other half sewn into pairs, and tonight I finished one set.  I really like how it's coming along and I think it will look great when it's done.
This one is going back in a box for a while, as I've got another deadline before the end of the year.  I've got several other ideas floating around in my head that I think I might work on before this x strings gets done, so I've got a feeling this is going to be a UFO for a while.  I want to pull it out and work on it at least a little here and there.  I definitely want to have it done by the end of the summer, but other than that I don't have a deadline for this one.

So you know how when inspiration hits, you'd better fly with it?  Well, I was at JoAnn's a week ago buying flannel for the back of K's scrappy plus quilt, and spied some pink corduroy.  I'd been thinking about making a skirt for my munchkin, who LOVES skirts, so I picked up half a yard.  I had some leftover denim I'd wanted to turn into a skirt for her as well, so I did them both at the same time.  I used pink thread on both.  I'll say it was a design element on the denim, but really it was to save time. =)
 The skirts she has been wearing keep getting shorter as those little legs get longer, so I was aiming for 14" long to go to her knees.  The pink one, which I finished first, was only about 13", so I took a narrower seam between the yoke and the bottom part of the skirt on the denim one, as well as a narrower hem.  I'm actually surprised at how much bigger the denim one looks--they really are very similar in size in real life.

I designed this pattern myself to fit her measurements.  I put three soft box pleats on the front as well as on the back and they turned out really cute!  Altogether I think I spent maybe 3 hours on both of these.  I'm glad that they came together so quickly.  I hope they fit her well--she hasn't tried them on yet as they will be Christmas presents.  I think she will love them!

Linking up today at Work in Progress Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.


  1. kelly green and navy blue is one of my favorite color pairings!

    and i love the pleats in the skirts! especially with the pink thread on the denim one. laziness sometimes can be a good thing!

  2. Cute skirts, and those fabrics for the string quilt are marvelous!

  3. Love the colors and prints of your string project. Those skirts are adorable! Hope they fit your daughter perfectly.


Thank you for taking time to leave a comment! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...