Thursday, July 18, 2013

Emily's Bee Blocks

This post could also be titled: "I can't do math when I'm pregnant."

For this month Emily asked us to make these simple square-in-a-square blocks.  She gave us each a black and a white text print.  We were asked to make two blocks, but if we had time we could make more because they are super easy, and we could throw in additional black and white text prints if we wanted to.  I had a few scraps of the Madrona Road text print left, so I decided to make a few extras.  I had planned to make one more with a tiny white center and wide black border, but I made a cutting error.  I hate those!  It was at the end too, after I had successfully cut three blocks already.  Grrr!
 
 Those who have known me through previous pregnancies know well that I struggle with basic math when I'm pregnant, especially fractions.  Multiplication and division have been tricky this time around too.  I remember trying to calculate how wide to cut strips for my little guy's baby quilt during the Super Bowl in 2011.  I wanted strips of various widths and combinations that needed to add up to a certain measurement.  I just could not do it to save my life and had to ask my husband to help.  This is very bothersome to me considering I'm usually quite good at math.  I even did pretty well in Calculus, although I don't remember it anymore. 

The black fabric Emily gave me was cut at about 6 3/8" wide, and the blocks finish at 6 1/2.  As I was preparing to cut strips, I thought, "If I cut a section 9" wide, trim the edges to 6 1/2", and then sub-cut it to the sizes I need, I'll save some time."  Then I realized that it was not wide enough to get the full 6 1/2", so I proceeded to cut the pieces one at a time IN THE SAME DIRECTION.  Then I lined up the edges and squared off the end, making it even shorter.  I was so frustrated when I realized what I had done.  If I'd turned them 90 degrees it would have been fine.  So I did the best I could and had to piece these back together.  I also didn't have enough to cut the other block I'd planned after this mistake.  
Hopefully Emily won't mind because you really can't tell from the front.  The good news is that this is technically an extra block, so at least she has three blocks just how she asked for them without any modifications.  I really hope that I get my math back enough to plan out my new little guy's quilt, but I'm going to have Mr. Mills double check it to be sure.  I'm glad he understands seam allowances.

Honestly there's a good chance I would have made a similar mistake even if my brain wasn't clouded in pregnancy fog, but I like to think I wouldn't have. 

It felt really good to sit down and do some real sewing.  I've been spending most of my sewing time at the longarm, which I love, but I've missed my time with my domestic machine as well.  I'm looking forward to spending more time with it soon, I hope.  Speaking of the longarm, I just finished two king-size customer quilts that I'll be posting in the next couple of days.  Please come back and check them out!

2 comments:

  1. I totally feel your frustration! I'm pregnant too, and I feel like a zombie right now. It doesn't help that I work PRN and all sorts of different shifts in the ER. My little guys have been pretty good while mommy crashes so much, but I'm exhausted and foggy all the time. And I totally feel like you--all I want to do is sit down and sew. When are you due, Barbie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute post! I love the little personal snippets that you threw in along with the instruction.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...