For this month Emily asked us to make these simple square-in-a-square blocks. She gave us each a black and a white text print. We were asked to make two blocks, but if we had time we could make more because they are super easy, and we could throw in additional black and white text prints if we wanted to. I had a few scraps of the Madrona Road text print left, so I decided to make a few extras. I had planned to make one more with a tiny white center and wide black border, but I made a cutting error. I hate those! It was at the end too, after I had successfully cut three blocks already. Grrr!
The black fabric Emily gave me was cut at about 6 3/8" wide, and the blocks finish at 6 1/2. As I was preparing to cut strips, I thought, "If I cut a section 9" wide, trim the edges to 6 1/2", and then sub-cut it to the sizes I need, I'll save some time." Then I realized that it was not wide enough to get the full 6 1/2", so I proceeded to cut the pieces one at a time IN THE SAME DIRECTION. Then I lined up the edges and squared off the end, making it even shorter. I was so frustrated when I realized what I had done. If I'd turned them 90 degrees it would have been fine. So I did the best I could and had to piece these back together. I also didn't have enough to cut the other block I'd planned after this mistake.
Honestly there's a good chance I would have made a similar mistake even if my brain wasn't clouded in pregnancy fog, but I like to think I wouldn't have.
It felt really good to sit down and do some real sewing. I've been spending most of my sewing time at the longarm, which I love, but I've missed my time with my domestic machine as well. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it soon, I hope. Speaking of the longarm, I just finished two king-size customer quilts that I'll be posting in the next couple of days. Please come back and check them out!