Friday, July 18, 2014

Purple Scrappy Trip Around the World Finish

I have loved so many of the scrappy trip around the world quilts that I've seen that I just had to make one. However, I don't have as much time to sew my own stuff lately as I'd like, so I had to figure out a way to modify it. Another thing I didn't like about the traditional pattern was the amount of waste you had if you tried using entire widths of fabric--you could make two blocks but then you'd have 11" or so left and I found that frustrating.

 I solved both of those problems by increasing my strip width from the traditional 2.5" to 3.5". Doing this made the blocks finish up at 18", so only 20 blocks made a 72" x 90" quilt. Perfect.
 With the 3.5" strips, you need 21" (plus extra for squaring up) to cut all six sections for the block. It was perfect to cut widths of fabric in half or to cut strips from fat quarters. Seriously, perfect.
 I've been working on this on and off for a few months, but it seriously went together so quickly. Scrappy trip blocks are already really fast, and making them bigger just made that even more true.
 I used a Joel Dewberry voile on the back and it is SO SOFT. This may be my favorite quilt to use from now on. I seriously love it. A scrappy binding finished it off nicely.
 I quilted allover feathers on the whole quilt. I wanted to practice them and this was the perfect opportunity. The busy patterns on both the front and back hide my imperfections nicely, but I'm really pleased with how they turned out. I haven't had a lot of experience with feathers, but I'd feel comfortable to put them on a customer quilt now.
I'm linking up today with Finish it Up Friday and Link a Finish Friday.

Sewvivor--The Quilting Mill--Barbie Mills

This year's "Sewvivor" competition is all about quilts! I decided I just had to enter. I would love to participate in the challenges and I have a really unique idea for the first one, so I hope I get in! I had a difficult time deciding which item to enter, but ultimately it was my Rainbow Dresden Ripples quilt.

I love everything about this quilt. I designed it myself using a dresden ruler and parallelograms to make it appear as if it is full of curved seams, but every seam on the quilt is straight.

I used two identical Kona jelly rolls to make it. 

I quilted a different pattern in each of the 40 different colors. It was SO MUCH FUN! It was a great challenge to come up with 40 different designs that would work in curvy shapes.

I used Peppered Cotton from Studio e on the back. It is so, so soft. Someday when I'm ready to wash this quilt and use it regularly, it will be super snuggly. A black and white print seemed like the perfect binding.

I matched the thread colors to the colors on the front. I love how the different designs show up so well on the back.

This is one of my favorite close-up shots. I used a variety of free-motion work and rulers to get all of different designs.

I would love to get to compete in the Sewvivor Competition!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...