Monday, May 19, 2014

Rustique Medallion Quilt by Emily Herrick

I had the honor of quilting this fabulous quilt for Emily Herrick to hang at International Quilt Market this past weekend. Her new fabric line is called Rustique and I LOVE it. Her colors are so saturated, and her geometric prints are just fantastic. This is one of the new lines with deer in it. Did you see pictures of Harvey in her booth? Talk about patchwork!

I had SO MUCH FUN quilting this. The design had so many areas that just screamed for different quilting designs. In the borders I did s-curves in the direction of the chevrons, and a little flower in the center square. The sashings all had ribbon candy quilting.

I kind of felt like Angela Walters quilting these motifs dot-to-dot style.

The flying geese got some continuous curve quilting. The background had tiny swirls. Aren't those fabrics fantastic?

In the center star medallion I repeated the s-curve quilting that I did in the top and bottom borders, tying it all together.
I absolutely love how this quilt turned out, and I especially loved seeing pictures of it hanging in Emily's booth. Thanks Emily for asking me to do this for you!

Friday, May 16, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Prairie Petals Quilt in Birch Farm

Are you at Quilt Market? Me neither. I did have the opportunity to make a quilt to go to Market, and I'm excited to enter it in the Blogger's Quilt Festival. This quilt was designed by Joel Dewberry to highlight his new fabric line, Birch Farm. I'm pretty sure the fabric will be available in July. This is good news for Deer Valley fans--the antler damask print is back in new colors!

 I didn't get any photos of the finished quilt, as Joel's wife Laurie literally pulled into the driveway to pick up the quilt as I was cutting the last threads from the binding. My friend JaNean found a pic of it all finished on Instagram--you can see it here. (Thanks again, JaNean!) Luckily I did get some pictures the night before after finishing the quilting.

I used some drunkard's path templates to cut the curved edges without breaking up the large prints. It would have worked to applique them as well, but this was faster! The design reminds me a lot of dogwood blooms, although not exactly.
 The goal in quilting this was to not detract from the fabrics at all, so I did a simple echo inside the petals using a clear monofilament thread, and stitched in the ditch at the same time.

 The blocks have a 1" sashing, so I quilted a line straight down the middle and curving 1/2" around the edges to give the effect of white edges on the flower petals. I did teeny pebbles, swirls, and clamshells in the diamond shapes between the flowers. That space is less than 3" square. I did a similar design in the 2" wide border, but a little larger.

This picture shows the quilt in progress, still needing two sashings and borders, but shows most of the design better than other photos I got. I really like the flowers.

I fussy-cut each of the center circles in an attempt to optimize the fabrics. There are some FABULOUS geometrics in this line and those were especially fun to fussy-cut.

A little more detail, during the quilting.

The quilt finished up at 51" by 72", which technically makes this go in the large quilt category in the festival. I'd call it more of a medium, but that's okay.

It was such an honor to be asked to make this quilt. I especially loved being able to do the tiny detail quilting--I don't get that opportunity very often with my current client base, so it was nice to change things up a bit. I love how this turned out, and I hope that Birch Farm is wildly successful at Market and after. If you happen to see any more pictures of this quilt there, please let me know! I'd love to see them too!

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Rainbow Dresden Ripples

Welcome to my little corner of the Blogger's Quilt Festival! Thanks so much to Amy for hosting again!

I've been quiet on the blog lately, but I'm so thrilled to share this quilt with you! I've had the design in my head for about two years, and it has been wonderful to see it all come together. This entry is part of the ROYGBIV Quilts Category in the festival.

 To make this quilt I used two identical Kona Jelly Rolls and a dresden ruler. The whole thing is made with straight seams, even though it gives the look of curves. I'm planning to write a pattern for this but it's kind of intimidating! I hope I can get past the intimidation soon and just do it.

 I used a fun black and white print for the binding.

The back is Peppered Cotton by Studio E in charcoal. It's SO SOFT! It's just a little heftier than other shot cottons, which I think is a good thing. I love how all of the quilting shows up so well on the back.

Each of the 40 colors is quilted with a different design.

I matched the thread colors as well as I could--there were a lot of thread changes for this one!

I had SO MUCH FUN quilting this. I didn't have time to get bored with any of the designs. One of my favorites was the geometric Greek key design just below.

The top took 20 hours to piece over a 3-day marathon sewing weekend and it took 10.5 hours to quilt, including stitching in the ditch on the whole quilt. I absolutely love how it turned out! This is one of mr favorite quilts ever.

I'm also linking up to Finish It Up Friday today.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...